Sunday 22 March 2015

Collective identity and the media

Self-image and the Media (MM41 - page 6).
Our Media Magazine archive is here.

1) Read the article and summarise each section in one sentence, starting with the section 'Who are you?'

The first section is about creating an identity for yourself and ideas about self image there is a certain way we want ourself to be seen.
The second section is about how identities were set to an individual according to many different things e.g class or race
The third part is about the need of having needs and meeting our desires, advertising has helped people to know what they want.
The fourth part is about a rise of an individual. which is about how a person start to become unique
The fifth part is about branding and lifestyle which is about the way people buy items to what match their identities.
The last part is about as individuals we make our own choices and are in control of our public imagine.


2) List five brands you are happy to be associated with and explain how they reflect your sense of identity.

Nike - Very comfortable shoes, and high quality clothing. I have been wearing this brand for a long time, as well as those around me, so it holds a strong sense of identity with me.
Apple - The company have been providing me with good service, and technology leading to me staying with them for many years, simple and pretty and I cant stay without, highly associated with me.

Audi - This is a brand I want to be associated with, as I like their cars and hope to own an audi when I am older. 
The Body Shop - I would prefer this brand over others as it is not only a good one for myself, but is against animal testing, thus I am a loyal customer and more than happy to see self identity with it.
Swarwoski - Their jewellery is really elegant, and I wear a necklace from there everyday, and it's really satisfying and looks good, thus reflects my sense of identity.


3) Do you agree with the view that modern media is all about 'style over substance'? What does this expression mean?
I do agree to some extent that the media is style over substance as the most popular things in media are to do with style, fashion and fame.


4) Explain Baudrillard's theory of 'media saturation' in one paragraph. You may need to research it online to find out more.
Media saturation is defined as media that is around use every for example radio, tv, online etc. To a large extent I believe that we do live in a media saturated world where every is very dependant on the the use of media for example we rely on the news to inform use and social media where we can access breaking news.

5) Is your presence on social media an accurate reflection of who you are? Have you ever added or removed a picture from a social media site purely because of what it says about the type of person you are?
Yes fairly, I pose mainly with family members in pictures I post, showing I am family oriented. I do post what's on my mind, or re-tweet on Twitter what I find entertaining or can relate to. I have removed a picture from social media of me and someone who I used to be friends with, so I'm no longer associated with them, not even on social media!!!


6) What is your opinion on 'data mining'? Are you happy for companies to sell you products based on your social media presence and on-line search terms? Is this an invasion of privacy?
- I think that data mining is beneficial to an extent however companies may step out of boundaries, and the government may not be able to create set boundaries, which makes some cases be invasion of privacy, leading to it being seen as illegal.

No comments:

Post a Comment